The IO Games forum - Hunger Games

What are the Hunger Games?

The Hunger Games are based on this text simulator I found Hunger Games Simulator | Agma Schwa, and my friends and I made our own Hunger Games based on it.

Here's a basic example:

Flame runs toward the center of the Cornucopia.
Infinity tries to sneak up on Flame.
Flame finds a tarp and a canteen, but Infinity brings him into a chokehold.
Startling, Flame dumps the contents of the canteen onto Infinity.
The water inside was filled with a deadly poison, and Infinity falls to the ground.
Infinity dies of poisoning.
Flame takes the tarp, and finds a water-filtering safety straw.
Flame runs for the woods.

Here's the kind of stuff my friends and I cook up:

Flame, who is still tiny, starts splitting off by mitosis.
The army of Flames start invading Infinity’s immune system.
Infinity falls through the nether portal with the Flame clones still attacking.
Infinity spins wildly, attempting to get rid of the Flame bacteria.
Infinity begins to cough and sneeze violently.
The Flame army are the size of a cell, but they split further using binary fission.
Infinity’s kidney is destroyed.
In a last-ditch effort, Flame taps his chestplate twice, activating the Plot Armor III enchantment.
The Flame army spontaneously combusts due to being an inconvenient plot device.
Frumpy learns of the true message to become enlightened, to lay down his weapons, and to convince others to lay theirs down too. If he can convince five people to give him a rock, he will achieve pure nirvana.
Frumpy puts down his backpack, including his artifacts.
He begins by approaching Infinity. “Brother, if you could so kindly offer me a singular stone, I would be eternally grateful. Perhaps some fortune will one day come your way as well.”
Infinity decides to murder Frumpy.
Frumpy, realizing this, attempts to salvage the situation. “Brother, I did not wish to offend you. My only desire is to help you find peace.”

However, there is a thing that you must do before joining.

You must have a gimmick.

This is something like being able to split in half through mitosis, or becoming a priest. (Both are mentioned above.)

Another example could be being wildly unlucky, or maybe even just being terrible at gardening or something.

Also, a few rules:
No guns
No being sus/shipping any characters
No bias towards a character (me making my character win b/c I want to win)
Only add things that will drive the plot
No gambling

Do’s and Don’ts:
Do: Make abilities creative, balanced, and fun
Don’ts: Make abilities boring, over/underpowered, and lame

(Actually think of something cool for this!)

• I want to join!
0 voters

People have mainly 3 branches of combat

Fantasy

Magic requires mana (or any other thing you want to call it but magical power is typically addressed with mana). The logic of magic should follow how magic commonly is portrayed in media with slight interpretation differences.
Meaning:

• Materilisation magic (Creating things out of nothing but magic) requires massive amounts of mana and people should not be able to create a lot of things or very big things. (This also includes creating light, flames etc) Added to this people can only make things they can understand/know the spell to.
  • Control magic (Mind control, making things float) requires mana the time it is controlled
  • Healing magic (any kind of healing) takes massive amounts of mana or must know how to create a healing serum
  • Transportation magic (teleportation, flying etc) takes a lot of energy
  • Energising magic (making something hot, propelling something forward) doesn’t take much energy and this includes propelling something like mana itself or light

Other guidelines.

• In order to use a spell you must understand it (making power stealing unusable)
  • Mana heals over time.
  • People with stronger magic/spells have less mana vise versa.
Science Ficiton

Things that are based off science fiction must have to be theoretically possible sometime in the future. This includes what happens in magic.
Examples:

• if a person uses some kind of magic that makes them bigger they immediately get crushed from their own weight because the strength of the bones/mussles don’t change.
  • If you fly up to the stratosphere without protection will kill you because of the lack of oxygen
Other (Physical)

This is kinda like Dragon Ball’s fights where nothing is really explained. There’s a limit, however: Physical exhaustion. This cannot be mitigated, even with healing magic. Also you must be specific in the fighting style. Not just: buff in every way.
Good Examples:

• Slap’s slapping. It makes no sense why slap has such strong slaps and why the power of the slaps increases of how much he hasn’t slapped for. But it is specific in fighting style. And it’s balanced.
  • Another is Flame’s pointy umbrella. The umbrella is stronger than a normal umbrella and is a lethal weapon. It makes no sense why the umbrella is nearly indestructible and how he can get more umbrellas when he loses them but it is balanced :+1:
    Bad Examples
  • Being invulnerable (Boring/Op)
  • Strong in every way? (too unspecific)

Abilities

Please add your abilities to the list

A-bot

Primary: Robot that can transform into other things.

Secondary: Creates Wildfires.

Angel

Primary: ANGEL JUMPSCARE: Is immediately used at the very start of the battle and debuffs one of the attackers abilities throughout the whole battle. This move can only be used once every battle. I will stop fighting for a short while if only I somehow receive a cup of tea. If I use too much of my power I will immediately take a short nap to quickly regain all my power back but will wake up if someone tries to attack while I am napping. I can die only if you break my halo but otherwise I can’t die no matter how much you try.

Secondary: Can fly about 30mph - 200mph. Is a good fighter.

ArtieMars

Primary: Paint brush lasso that levitates near my side and long and huge. My paint brush lasso can deflect, and push me away from any attacks.

Secondary: The healing paint ball that is super strong; it can deflect anything. My pet “Mars” fights until I finish healing. Biggest downside if someone pours water on my paint ball dissolves and I stop healing, and damageable.

Notes: I have a pet planet “Mars”, and it fights for me when I heal. Also, the paint is incredibly hard like so hard that it bends anything. On the other hand, my pet can just heal rapidly by the cosmos of the galaxy.

Doomslayer

Primary: Tough Skin. (Will be hard to pierce.)

Secondary: Very Strong.

Faraway_Flame

Primary: Use an umbrella, it can be utilized as a glider, hook, cane, spear, shield, and is very light and does not take much effort to use. Only one can exist at a time, if it breaks, Flame can summon another one but it takes a while because of shipping.

Secondary: Resistant to mind attacks.

Fish

Primary: Sprays water which can soak people.

Secondary: Has water bending power which gets stronger the more he absorbs water.

FuturePear

Primary: Extremely Durable Skin but it rots quickly.

Secondary: Mind Control.

F1NN

Primary: Blind but strong other senses.

Secondary: Is really fast.

Gautam

Primary: Partial admin command access.

Secondary: Ability to hack any machine.

GiggaPoggers

Primary: Owns powerful but heavy sword that can tear through reality itself. Using mana they can open a wormhole, and by using 100% mana, can create a black hole that kills anything within a 10 mile radius, including self, and slowly moves things in an 20 mile radius closer, which lasts for 15 minutes. including self.

Secondary: Can dodge any projectile under a speed of 100mph, and has low health. The more projectiles, the greater chance of hitting. When holding sword, abilities are halved (including loss of health!)

G-Man

Primary: Can summon 5 different ancient machines that each have their own abilities and attacks. The titan, the flying titan, the hound, the soldier, and the metal morph. (only 1 at a time, bots take time to make, bots are temperamental and malfunction in bad conditions. Ex. Heat, water, pressure, electricity, stuff that would kill a machine irl.) ((He also needs to take the time to build each machine.))

Secondary: Knows Martial Arts.

Hue

Primary: Can bend light and magic like how a prism would.

Secondary: Fractalization (Temporarily spawns matter controlled by me.)

Incognitoes

Primary: Wields shadows which defends from magic attacks.

Secondary: Vulnerable to light and physical attack.

Lewcantoucan

Primary: Shapeshifter.

Secondary: Knife wielder.

Monke

Primary: Gambling (Rolls a D20, Jackpot is 16+, Jackpot is x1.25 Damage + 4 minutes of having static 999 hp (You need an attack that does above 999 damage to kill him), If a nat 20 is rolled, Monke does 3x Damage + 12 minutes of having static 999 hp (You need an attack that does above 999 damage to kill him.) (Also is wearing a helmet + Avenger Band-aids.) Also has Imparnumerophobia (fear of odd numbers, odd numbers weaken Monke so he does half damage.)

Secondary: Power Copying (can store 2 abilities at a time) but he has a weak skull.

Penguin

Primary: Controls Mana.

Secondary: Creates snacks and tea of their own will.

PotatoLord

Primary: Her primary ability is the power to tamper with the string of fate and alter reality. It has been shown that whatever she says becomes reality, with no certain limits to her powers except for her resistance to the side effects of using her powers. (She also is really really cute. - PotatoLord)

Secondary: She is weakened by her own power by the amount she spends. (Damaging someone with non-physical damages her as well) ((She also has a fruit allergy/Fruits weaken her.))

Prookl

Primary: Stretchy Limbs, Detachable Limbs, Shape Shift, Ability Cloning.

Secondary: Portals, Cloning, Gravity Control.

RandomGuy

Primary: Mind read within a 15 meter radius. (This also allows him to sense people sneaking up.)

Secondary: Magically talented so he can copy spells. It takes a bit of time and it depends on how intelligent the person he’s mind reading/how complex the spell is. (Limit is 2 spells at a time.)

Shadowblade

Primary: Wields a shadow blade which always returns to his hand. It’s able to cut/damage tough materials, though its sharpness depends on his will power/focus.

Secondary: Able to disappear/reappear when stepping into a shadow.

Cvefy (Shadow rider)

Primary: Vampire with a deadly bite.

Secondary: Immune to the sun.

Slapadabass

Primary: Slap.

Secondary: The longer he goes without slapping, the more powerful his slap is.

Stoated

Primary: Can digest any material as if it were food.

Secondary: Can change the size of nonliving things he touches.

Wasd

Primary: Makes things using a fabricator but I must know how it is made or at least have a theory that could be plausible. (So no physically impossible fantasy stuff.)

Secondary: Use a spell to copy an item, even if I don’t know what it is made out of.

I’m working on other things at the moment so pls be happy with your abilities pls - Hue

The abilities spreadsheet

8 Likes

Awww :pensive:
May I use magic??

5 Likes

Yes.

(Be specific)

5 Likes

I use a magic to create metal tube with smaller tubes with explosive powder in the end with a handle that strikes the tube making the explosive to explode and the gas expanding propels the smaller tube out the larger tube. The smaller tube is also made out of metal and is capped in the front. These smaller tubes automatically load in

5 Likes

Oh yeah, my gimmick is using a sharp umbrella!

(can be used as a glider, cane, spear, hook, and more!)

5 Likes

I just release concentrated mana and hit people with it, the concentrated mana can be turned into a concentrated plate that can stop most kinds of physical attacks and some magical attacks. The concentrated mana can be pushed down propelling me upward. When I fall I can do the same by canceling the velocity of the fall. The mana can reach up to 50 feet and bent up to 180 degrees. Only problem being I can only be in combat for 30 minutes or I exhaust all of my mana and just sleep for a couple of hours.

6 Likes

I am a prism I reflect light and can manipulate it to my will.

5 Likes

also you should use random factors so that the game is as fair as possible

5 Likes

Great!

(That’s a great gimmick!)

5 Likes

I’m blind but I have incredibly strong other senses

6 Likes

The contestants will control the story, but they can’t make HUGE decisions without permission.

For example, I can’t just wake up and write:

Flame sneaks up on Frumpy.
Flame kills frumpy.

Without anyone approving the decision.

5 Likes

Gimmick:

Im a pear but my skin is unpenetrable and only nuclear weapons can damage me also i have mind control and can control anyone with my mind and also i have magic pieces of metal that fly super fast towards people

5 Likes

Ah, I see.

(Maybe there should be dice that controls the effectiveness of things like dnd)

5 Likes

So you can’t talk, move in any way, and rot very quickly?

4 Likes

I’m a compass ig not much else

7 Likes

Its a part of the rules to have something interesting about yourself so think of something creative :D

5 Likes

No i can do all of those

5 Likes

I can make a lot of gadgets that come in handy no matter the situation since I have an inbuilt fabricator?

4 Likes

that’s pretty cool :+1:

5 Likes

I slap people

4 Likes