Any tips or pointers on starting?

Alot of the games here got me interested in learning about io games and the development behind them. I wanted to start learning about building them and possibly create my own. So does anyone know any good resources or pointers to start off with? There seems to be alot to it and I have no idea where to even start. I have some base knowledge when it comes to programming but not much beyond that so I’m pretty new to all of this.

1 Like

Kinda depends on your game style(like 2d or 3d and so forth) and language ur comfortable with

what is your game idea?

As of now just a basic bare bones 2d pvp game I guess. Just to get used to the process of building something before I do anything or invest serious time into any solid ideas. As for programming Im pretty comfortable with both C++ and Python. But Im always willing to learn and pick up a new language if you have any specific recommendations.

I’m not set on any specific ideas as of now. Im just looking to learn about building a basic bare bones 2d pvp io game. That way I can be a bit familiar with the process and what I’m doing before I commit to any solid ideas or plans. As an artist, I have a bad habit over shooting and aiming for unrealistic scopes. I figured its best to learn what exactly Im getting myself into before I start planning and dig myself into a hole lol

Great! Choose a language that you like that is supported for io games and basically research on it, watch videos/tutorials, look at the docs, and finally understand the logic and math used behind everything.

1 Like

I looked at a bunch of tutorials when I was first thinking about this, here’s the one I ended up doing:

It did a pretty good job of guiding me through the process. I ended up using WSL so that I could develop on Windows but run node in a Linux environment, which is working out great.

2 Likes

man, i always wanted to make an .io game as well but i never had any experience with programming. I think u can find a lot of tutorials on the internet, and i suggest starting with something extremely easy to make, then make small steps towards your main goal.

1 Like

I’ll check it out! Thank you!

1 Like