Does anti-ailasing actually change fps?

so we probably all know that there is something in swordbattle.io, anti-ailasing, which improves fps, supposedly, when turned off. but i was wondering…does anti-ailasing actually make a difference in fps?

so i decided to test it out.

first, we have no anti-ailasing. i could definitely notice notice the lower quality of the game. the fps i was getting was, 60-61, my normal fps.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.40.19 PM

now we’ll try with anti-ailasing. the game was much, much, smoother - you can even notice the difference in the two fps screenshots!

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 6.43.40 PM

you can see the quality increase in the whole game 10x! however…there is something weird i see. i got the literal exact same fps, 60-61, both with and without anti-ailasing disabled.

what’s going on here? is it just me, or does anti-ailasing not noticably change fps at all?

2 Likes

May speed up the tick rate or whatever instead

2 Likes

i think it makes it less laggy, so im cool with it

1 Like

Since you are on a 60hz monitor, you max out at 60fps (your monitor cannot render more than 60 refreshes a second). Now I know some games show higher fps, but that does not necessarily equate to any smoother gameplay unless they are using tricks like motion blur.

Disabling anti-aliasing is mainly for people struggling to hit their screen’s refresh rate. If you want to figure out your max fps, try this tool.

1 Like

thanks! that helped a lot.