How do y'all make multiplayer games

I want to create a multiplayer game, but idk how to make it. But I saw a youtuber make a multiplayer game, by using a website. (i think it’s modd.io)

3 Likes

Want to make multiplayer games? Your best chance is Roblox.

Roblox is easy to learn, is 3d, very well supported, giant player base, plenty of tutorials, and they give you as many servers as you need.

If you want to make more “serious” games, then I do not suggest starting with a multiplayer game. Multiplayer games are extremely complex when they aren’t done for you (roblox, modd.io) so you should really just start with regular singleplayer games and learn networking later on. I prefer Godot, has support for both. And compared to other game engines, its networking is quite easy.

But what if you want to make multiplayer web games? The answer is no.

What my AI told me.

Summary
  1. Conceptualize Your Game:
  • Decide on the theme, gameplay mechanics, and overall vision for your game. Consider what makes your game unique and engaging.
  1. Choose a Game Engine or Framework:
  1. Learn Networking Basics:
  • Understand the fundamentals of networking, including client-server architecture, sockets, and real-time communication.
  1. Design Your Game Mechanics:
  • Define the rules, objectives, and interactions within your game. Consider player movement, scoring, power-ups, and any other gameplay elements.
  1. Implement Multiplayer Features:
  • Set up a server to handle player connections, synchronization, and game state.
  • Use libraries like Socket.io (for web-based games) or Photon (for Unity) to manage real-time communication between players.
  1. Create Game Assets:
  • Design or acquire graphics, sound effects, and music for your game.
  • Consider using free or paid assets from online repositories.
  1. Code Your Game:
  • Write the game logic using the chosen engine or framework.
  • Implement player movement, collision detection, scoring, and other features.
  • Handle player input and update game state on the server.
  1. Test Extensively:
  • Test your game thoroughly to identify and fix bugs.
  • Invite friends or other developers to playtest and provide feedback.
  1. Deploy Your Game:
  • Set up a server (or use a cloud service) to host your game.
  • Make sure your game can handle multiple concurrent players.
  1. Monetization (Optional):
  • If you plan to monetize your game, consider in-app purchases, ads, or premium features.
1 Like

AI is stupid, go with what I said, I’ve been a game dev for 5 years.

Yeah, AI only has a general idea on a topic. The ai assumes you have those skills. You should stick with mostlime’s advice of first getting better at learning how game development works

3 Likes

if you want to make a web game. i’d suggest learning html, js, and css, they are the main tools that make up websites. making a multiplayer game however is a bit more complicated as you’ll have to learn about socket.io. There are many resources out there to help you learn so it wont be too difficult, it will just take a while.

1 Like

What langugaes do u know

1 Like

Typically you use node.js for multiplayer capabilities, especially for browsers

(Moved to Developers)

3 Likes

Me not knowing a damn thing anyone is saying:…
Mostlime sounds smart. Do what he says.

Multiplayers are indeed hard, not necessarily due to coding them, but difficult to find a game design formula that works.

When you make a single player game, you only care about crafting the experience towards a single player. A multiplayer you need constantly iterate the game to fit many players sharing the objects / fighting each other, etc.

Mostlime is probably right, roblox can be a good option to get started due to big community.
There are also a few (very few) web games made on unity.

If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty:

• JS/TS + NodeJs,
  • Rust programming language (what i use in my game)

Rust is very hard to learn, but is also getting extremely popular by the day, and has strong community support (people share code between each other).
And Rust games work for free on the web, by WASM.

2 Likes

Roblox is the worst platform, players will just get your game banned for some stupid reason. That is one of the worst recommendations.

The best advice you can give someone is to ‘start small’ such as looking through docs or source codes of other games, tinker with them, do whatever you want. Learn by doing, not by watching. Get used to all of the errors that happen, and etc.

3 Likes

I use Roblox all the time, always have. I’ve never faced that issue? I’d be the first to acknowledge Roblox’s terrible moderation, but if your game is that controversial for players to try to get it banned (and it works), then maybe it isn’t suitable to be on Roblox?

I’m assuming this guy has no idea how to code, and I completely agree on “starting small”, but he still needs some introduction. Roblox is, unironically, the best pick because Roblox Studio has a toolbar, which is basically just a drag-n-drop asset library with millions of different assets, and given the simple programming of Lua, it is incredibly easy for them to modify the code & and have fun at the same time, a great introduction.

Once you feel good enough to venture outside of Roblox, then you can learn more advanced topics through modding in other games. Or just make simple games in other engines.

Making web games with javascript is incredibly complicated and I believe that if you don’t use a js framework, library, or engine, then it should be left last due to you having to make it all from scratch from a single canvas element.

Godot maybe?? pretty sure it uses node.js

Roblox (or Lua) is different from JavaScript, Rust, and other languages. Even Roblox Lua is different from regular Lua, since it’s already set up and you’re focusing on building the game’s core features (which is sure, what you said)

And about moderation, just fyi, tycoon and stuff got banned because people report it saying ‘Cheating/Hacking’. And its mostly automated or moderated by people who dont understand things.

And about Making web games with javascript is incredibly complicated, everyone uses a framework such as phaser, or whatever else. Which can teach you js too…

1 Like

not even moderated by people its been confirmed its 90% bots

1 Like

Exactly why modd.io isn’t good

Yeah I agree seeing how rizzler makes scratch games I think Roblox is possibly the next step

roblox should never be a step (unless you’re the dude who made lethal company)

He codes on scratch ._. I think Roblox is a step up from scratch?

like realisticly you’re never gonna be able to know what to improve in a roblox game since roblox is horrible at showing people NEW games so you wont get feedback why do you think a game like traversal for example (the best roblox stealth horror game to come out this year) only peaked at around 32 players before big youtubers saw the game and posted abt it THEN thats when the game spiked up to 5-6k players avg like if