Lurkers.io: my honest reaction

As you all know, awhile ago, lurkers.io was added to the forum.

Now I figured I might as well make my own review.

One thing right off the bat that I really liked is that the stylized text and art all matches up really well and the game is very visually appealing.

However, after that, it took me a little while to figure out what to do and how to do it. It was difficult starting as a newbie.

In the mode that most people play, bedwars, you start off with just a little gold (reminiscent of minecraft bedwars). Overall, I felt very overwhelmed in the beginning because it just kind of threw me into a match immediately with no hand-holding at all.

Something else I wasn’t very happy about is sometimes an ad would glitch out and I couldn’t get rid of it unless I reloaded the page, and it would appear DURING GAMEPLAY, which was quite frankly irritating.

By the time I figured out to buy wood and make tools, I figured out about crafting and mining. Although I eventually got the hang of it, I feel like a full-fledged tutorial would be quite helpful, or at the bare minimum, a more in-depth help page is required, as the current “help” page is quite insufficient as it simply states unhelpful or information that could be easily figured out in the first 5 seconds of gameplay.

On a more positive note, I really enjoy all the base-building and creative aspects of the game. The building system is very satisfying and it’s pretty well made.

I’ve always loved 2d games, having grown up playing raze 2 and strike force heroes on armor games in the computer lab in 6th grade, and this game doesn’t really dissapoint me. I love placing doors to peek people with the machine gun!

Despite requiring a bit of messing around to learn how to play starting out, this game has incredible potential and I am excited to see what direction you take in the future @bergice.

My score:
Gameplay: 7/10
Aesthetic/art: 8.5/10
Overall fun: 8.5/10

Rating: " :frog: "

7 Likes

Thanks for your review.

However, after that, it took me a little while to figure out what to do and how to do it. It was difficult starting as a newbie.
In the mode that most people play, bedwars, you start off with just a little gold (reminiscent of minecraft bedwars). Overall, I felt very overwhelmed in the beginning because it just kind of threw me into a match immediately with no hand-holding at all.

I’m working on a new version you can play on the staging server, it has some improvements to onboarding with better UI and simpler controls in the help menu.

Something else I wasn’t very happy about is sometimes an ad would glitch out and I couldn’t get rid of it unless I reloaded the page, and it would appear DURING GAMEPLAY, which was quite frankly irritating.

Ads should only show during gameplay if you haven’t seen one in a while. But they try to avoid displaying if there’s enemies nearby.
We are moving to the Poki SDK soon and the ads will change then, so maybe that fixes the bug.

2 Likes