The COMPLETE Styling Guide

So recently a lot of you have requested a styling tutorial…I’ve had more than five people PM me about making a tutorial on how to style or asking me to teach them how, or whatnot.

And so I’ve decided. The complete styling guide has arrived.

This post will contain all you need to know about how to style in swordbattle.io, how styling works, and more!! This tutorial will be useful for both beginners and intermediates.

(Note that this might be long for some people, I tried to go into as much depth as possible!)

So! Without further ado, let’s get started.

Step 1. Master Holding Combos

This may seem a bit unnecessary to learn how to style. After all, this is a styling guide, not a combo holding guide. However, you will find that the two are actually pretty closely interconnected. After all, how can you style if you cannot have a combo to style into? And how is your styling going to be consistent if you can’t hold a normal combo?

So, because of that, the first step to learning how to style is to learn how to combo consistently. If you already know how to do this, you can skip this if you like. However, a little extra practice is always good.

So how do you combo consistently anyway? Well, the easiest way to learn how to do this is spacing, because combos usually only break because the opponent is either too far (out of your reach) or too close (about to hit you back). The way to prevent this is to practice proper spacing.

One of the best ways to make sure your opponent does not get too far away from you is to w-tap, a method that involves tapping w, or, the forward button, right before a hit to make sure your opponent stays within your reach.

If your opponent gets too close to you, simply use your judgment and stop pressing your forward button to distance yourself from the opponent, which allows you to keep your combo and not let them get a hit on you.

Above all, do not hold w, click in the opponent’s direction, and assume that will suffice. This will result in inconsistent combos. Instead, use the strategies described above to keep your combos for longer, and in general make them more consistent.

Step 2. Learn How To Flick

Now, another reason that learning how to keep combos first is the ideal first step for learning how to style is because it is an essential foundation for styling.

Next, the most basic and essential form of styling - flicks. Flicks, for people who don’t know, it’s when you flick your mouse away from your opponent right after landing a hit, and then coming back to hit and repeat.

But how do you learn to flick exactly? Well, first practice clicking a spot on your screen, then moving it away, then moving it back to the spot and clicking it again. Try to do this rhythmically.

Now try to do it in-game, on a real opponent. Try to not have your attempts affect your spacing - keep what you learned regarding spacing in the back of your mind throughout this.

Now, here is where my practice with rhythm comes into handy. As you know, swordbattle.io has different hit cooldowns depending on how many coins you have. I recommend practicing while you have just spawned in, at 120 bpm. This will help you keep your hits within a consistent window of each other.

Try and do this until you can flick consistantly. Remember, practice never hurts!

Step 3. Compliment Your Movement

Now that you know how to flick, you should learn how to compliment your movement with flicks. But what does that mean exactly?

Well, complimenting your movement involves flicking to the side of your opponent.

This helps your movement because it is effectively a way of strafing, making your opponent unable to predict where you will be next, as well as making it harder for them to hit you back. It could even confuse them in some cases!

Alternate sides for your side flicks to be even more hard to escape! Be sure to be unpredictable. For example, do not flick on one side only or alternate flicks evenly. Instead, do a different amount of flicks at random for each side to make you almost unpredictable.

Step 4. Learn How to 360

Now that you know the most basic form of styling, you can branch out to the 360. In simple terms, a 360 is when you hit an opponent, make a 360-degree turn, and then hit your opponent again, hence the name “360.”

Try to memorize a sort of u-shaped movement with your mouse, this will make a 360 turn in swordbattle.io. Then, once you have memorized that all it comes down to is keeping a combo while making that movement.

However, while 360ing remember that your movement is not the same while styling. When 360ing, do not press forward, as you will go backward for a small moment, ruining your combo’s rhythm.

Instead, w or s-tap while 360ing so that your movement is unchanged, allowing you to keep your combo while 360ing.

Step 5. Obtain Good Control.

Now, you may think that by now you are a master at styling. But you still have one thing to learn…at all times you must obtain good control.

What does that mean? Well, don’t try flashy styling until you can consistently do it without failing. Instead, styling in a controlled way so that you have a better chance of succeeding.

Then, once you feel comfortable doing that, you can try to style more flashily - but remember, do it a little bit at a time so you won’t be overwhelmed by the amount of movement/styling you are doing.

__
Well, that’s all for the tutorial! I hope that helped you guys! (specifically, those who pm’d me) I hope this wasn’t too long!

hehehe…definitely long enough eh? or should i make it longer…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.